Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Unemployment: Not for the Lazy

I do not think it would take much to convince me to change my life plan to asperiations of professional bum. With no job or class in sight I have found myself less than bored. Instead, I am blissfully content. The past two weeks have been chalk full of climbing adventures, baking, cooking, running, cribbage (I finally beat my Mom last night!), baking, evening canoe excusions, gardening, Harry Potter, movies, baking and well, more baking.

Actually, climbing at the columns last week involved a lot of sitting on the ground pretending to be hardcore, while resting our out of shape arms and talking.

Today Allison, Johannah, Brad and I hiked up to rooster rock which we then climbed for an impressive view of the valley and the North and Middle Sisters. It was gorgeous and a fabulous adventure. I took my first real fall today and screamed really loud for the whole four or five feet I fell. I felt pretty silly, but I did scrap up my leg! (ok, only a little bit..) I did, however, make some Banana Nut muffins for the experience and while I was starting them last night (my fourth baking project of the day) Bill came into the kitchen. After inquiring what I was doing, he replied, "I now see why your friends bought you a mixer for your birthday, and I thought it was a present for you....."

The view from the top of Rooster Rock today.

I also spent an afternoon replanting, pruning and weeding my mom's herb garden, complete with a little path, so I have fresh heabs to use in the kitchen. I am rather pleased with the result though, it did require at least an hour of pulling just chives out of the ground. I no longer like chives at all! And next Saturday I am running my first race ever! I am running a 5k at Silver Creek Falls which is being held in honor of National Parks Day. I am way excited, and a little nervous. There is another 5k in Eugene the following weekend which I am contemplating signing up for as well. Because I am a nerd I have also starting listening to Harry Potter books on tape. I am already on the third book and listen to them while I'm in the kitchen. I decided to read/listen to the series again before the last book comes out in July. I forgot how good they are!

Johannah and Will on our twilight Willamette River trip, well equipped with Cinnamon Rolls and Chai Tea. We saw a nutria, a Bald Eagle, a Great Blue Herron, and a Beaver, which even slapped his tail at us!

1 comment:

melanie said...

I'm so happy to hear things are awesome in Oregon. I sure do miss Corvallis....and you.