
Well, I didn't do such a great job with catching up on my blogging last week but I did somehow manage to cross things like my taxes, and finishing my research project for Dr. Giusti off the list.
Phew. Exhausted as I was, I was ready to leave for Ireland on Friday, and kicked off the trip by missing my 5:47am train out of Montpellier, after three hours of sleep. Thankfully things have gone considerably smoother since, and I had settled into my hostel by early afternoon. A good find too, located right in the center of the historic Temple Bar District. I spent the better part of the afternoon exploring the city, including browsing the fabulous collection of cookbooks at
The Winding Stair. Dublin is beautiful and vibrant; certainly high on my list of favorite cities. The cobblestone streets are crammed with used bookstores, tearooms, sandwich shops and alluring local eateries, bio stores, even little boutiques full of clothes I would actually wear.
Later I met up with the friend of a mutual friend who had agreed to meet me for tea and maybe show me around. Billy took me to a local tearoom to escape the rain where I snacked on Chai tea and a Scone while he took a late lunch. We hit it off well, discovering we had a lot in common and plenty to talk about. He walked me around to all his favorites nooks and crannies, cluing me in to a fabulous bookshop tucked down an alley, a covered market selling everything from vintage dresses to handmade fudge, a million cafe recommendations, and a whirl around a simply decadent health food grocery.
Blueberry Scones at the Market.In the morning I walked around the corner to a tiny food market hiding in an alley, which Billy had recommended. I bought a traditional Lamb Pie, imported olives and some little purple broccoli sprouts that I stashed the hostel kitchen for lunch later in the day. I walked down the Liffey, munching a blueberry scone (
they're different than in England, and
I have to say, the Brits do it better...) while enjoying the lack of tourists. I window shopped my way to St. Steven's Green, feeling totally, and completely lazy. St. Steven's Green turned out to be one of the most beautiful parks I've visited yet, and it was bursting with Tulips, Hyacinths, and Pansies. Cherry trees were in full bloom and the paths wound along a gorgeous creek, crossed by little wooden brides; there was even a waterfall. I wished desperately it was warm enough to take off my shoes and coat and curl beneath a big oak to read in the sun. Instead I enjoyed my stroll, eying the rain clouds playing hide and seek with the sun. I finished the morning with a tour of the Trinity College and visit to the Book of Kells and the Long Room in the college library. The Book of Kells is considered perhaps the oldest book in the world; a Christian bible in remarkable condition given it dates back to the 7th century.
St. Steven's Green.In the afternoon I met up with Billy again, who planned to accompany me to the Guinness Factory, but after a look at the line we decided to have tea instead. Later we splurged on a nice dinner at a trendy Dublin restaurant called,
The Larder. Sadly my meal was
ho hum, but the atmosphere and company were great, as was the slice of cake we shared for dessert,
raspberry and amaretto torte; so I enjoyed the evening just the same. After dinner we managed to get on the list to a private party being thrown at a little cafe near my hostel where the girlfriend of Billy's cousin worked. I chatted with Billy's
so Irish cousins while we sipped Mojitos, and watched an old Jack Lemon film projected onto the white wall of the building across the street.
A stall full of tasty looking breads at the Temple Bar Market.
No comments:
Post a Comment