Saturday, March 15, 2008
Prague: Part I
I arrived in Prague last night after a long, long day of traveling. I had a wonderful first day, and don't think I'll have any trouble filling the next three days with things to do and see before I leave for Vienna. It certainly lives up to it's reputation for being a beautiful city, and I'm enjoying the change of pace with a very new culture. A culture that offered me a sample shot of whiskey in the Snack aisle of the local grocery store where I stocking up on fruit and yogurt for quick breakfasts. And I am little alarmed with the number of tourists, it's March after all, butI have hopes that come Monday, it will thin out a little. Here are a few pictures from my first day of exploring.

Looking out towards Old Prague across the Vltava river from behind the Kafka Museum.

There was a display of medieval torture devices in the Daliborka tower at the Prague Castle, I got the idea that getting on the wrong side of the king could be a rather crummy experience.

This guy cooked my lunch this afternoon, which I ate smothered with extra spicy sweet mustard and horseradish on little rye toasts as I walked back across Charles bridge after a morning exploring the Prague Castle.

There is an Easter Fair taking place in the Old Town Square this weekend as well, providing an excellent opportunity to sample other local goodies as well. Last night I had a slab of Old Prague Ham, right off the bone. It was simply divine, and I don't even like ham... Today I tried Trdlo, a traditional Czech pastry rolled in ground almonds and sugar and flavored with vanilla. It's cooked on these the little metal rods over a open flame, very cool to watch. And it appears I will not be lacking for new treats in the days to come.

An Easter Tree I guess, which is one of main decorations for the Easter Fair.

The Church of Our Lady Before Týn rising above Old Town Square.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment