
I had a really pleasant birthday this past weekend, filled with friends and food, as a birthday should. Friday was a lazy, and relaxing day, I made myself crepes for breakfast with sautéed apples and then headed downtown to wander through the new Holiday Fair followed by shoe shopping. I actually didn't find shoes I liked, (I have yet to buy a pair in France, I'll have you know) but I did find a wonderful shawl! I've been looking for a nice one for a while and I happened to wander past the perfect one in a shop the mall. In the late afternoon several friends joined me for my first trip to the French Movies where we saw the British film,
Death at a Funeral. It was, errr, good; a bit silly for my taste, but enjoyable. The theater had just been remodeled and was beautiful inside; I would like to go back. For dinner I wanted Mexican Food, which I miss desperately. I refried some Pinto Beans I found in an import store and people pitched in to create a wonderful feast of Birthday Burritos! Joel's Italian roommate and friends were very curious to know what the mushy brown stuff we were eating was and didn't seem highly impressed with the whole idea. After dinner we attempted, (and succeeded!) in using Joel's oven without a thermometer to bake Chocolate Chip Cookies to pile on top of Vanilla Ice Cream, though I think I ate more cookie dough than actual baked product. Fabulous, I couldn't imagine a better birthday cake! I was gifted with Champagne but as we quickly ran out of glasses, my birthday toast was a swig of Champagne off the top of the bottle passed around.

Saturday evening Maddie, Christy and I whipped up Eggnog and some rather tasty Oatmeal Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies in the spirit of the season before heading to another birthday party and today I showed Marit how to steam Banana Bread Muffins on her stove to top off an excellent weekend in the kitchen.
No comments:
Post a Comment